By Corinne Saunders
- Opens with a common introductory part discussing London existence and politics, books and authority, manuscripts and readers.
- Subsequent sections specialise in Chaucer’s significant works – the dream visions, Troilus and Criseyde and The Canterbury Tales.
- Essays spotlight the foremost non secular, political and highbrow contexts for every significant work.
- Also covers very important common issues, together with: medieval literary genres; dream conception; the Church; gender and sexuality; and interpreting Chaucer aloud.
- Designed in order that each one contextual essay could be learn along certainly one of Chaucer’s significant works.
Read Online or Download A Concise Companion to Chaucer (Concise Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Similar literary medieval criticism books
In Milton and Ecology, Ken Hiltner engages with literary, theoretical, and old techniques to discover the ideological underpinnings of our wide-spread environmental quandary. concentrating on Milton's rejection of dualistic theology, metaphysical philosophy, and early-modern subjectivism, Hiltner argues that Milton anticipates sure triumphing crucial ecological arguments.
The Argentinian author and poet Jorge Luis Borges (1899-1986) used to be many stuff in the course of his lifestyles, yet what has long past principally left out is that he used to be a medievalist, and his curiosity in Germanic medievalism was once pervasive all through his paintings. This examine will ponder the medieval components in Borges inventive paintings and shed new gentle on his poetry.
Laurin tells the tale of Dietrich von Bern’s warfare with the gnome king Laurin, the destruction of Laurin’s rose backyard, and the liberation of an kidnapped virgin. Many types of the tale various in size, wording, and every now and then emphasis are present in various records. This new version provides assorted types of the tale and gives thorough documentation of the differences within the historic manuscripts.
It is a sequence of cutting edge experiences within the textual and literary feedback of Latin literature, exploring how those branches of the self-discipline are at the same time supportive. The participants comprise many top students within the box. person essays are dedicated to Catullus, Cicero, Horace, Lucretius, Ovid, Tacitus and Virgil, and there also are essays at the Renaissance reception of Virgil and on ideas of editorial perform.
- Jacques Roubaud: Prose de la mémoire et errance chevaleresque (Interférences) (French Edition)
- Plagiarism in Latin Literature
- Sophocles' Philoctetes and the Great Soul Robbery (Wisconsin Studies in Classics)
- Classical Commentaries: Explorations in a Scholarly Genre
Additional resources for A Concise Companion to Chaucer (Concise Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Concise Companion to Chaucer (Concise Companions to Literature and Culture) by Corinne Saunders