By Kathryn Gutzwiller
- A consultant to the literature of the Hellenistic age, from the loss of life of Alexander the good in 323 BCE to the conflict of Actium in 31 BC
- Provides overviews of the social, political, highbrow and literary ancient contexts during which Hellenistic literature was once produced
- Introduces the main writers and genres of the period
- Provides information regarding sort, meter and languages to assist readers with out previous wisdom of the language in knowing technical points of literary Greek
- Distinctive in its insurance of present concerns in Hellenistic feedback, together with viewers reception, the political and social history, and Hellenistic theories of literature
Read or Download A Guide to Hellenistic Literature (Blackwell Guides to Classical Literature) PDF
Similar literary medieval criticism books
In Milton and Ecology, Ken Hiltner engages with literary, theoretical, and historical ways to discover the ideological underpinnings of our commonplace environmental difficulty. targeting Milton's rejection of dualistic theology, metaphysical philosophy, and early-modern subjectivism, Hiltner argues that Milton anticipates definite triumphing crucial ecological arguments.
The Argentinian author and poet Jorge Luis Borges (1899-1986) used to be many stuff in the course of his lifestyles, yet what has long past principally disregarded is that he used to be a medievalist, and his curiosity in Germanic medievalism used to be pervasive all through his paintings. This learn will reflect on the medieval components in Borges artistic paintings and shed new gentle on his poetry.
Laurin tells the tale of Dietrich von Bern’s conflict with the gnome king Laurin, the destruction of Laurin’s rose backyard, and the liberation of an kidnapped virgin. Many types of the tale various in size, wording, and in certain cases emphasis are present in quite a few files. This re-creation offers diverse models of the tale and offers thorough documentation of the diversities within the old manuscripts.
This can be a sequence of leading edge reviews within the textual and literary feedback of Latin literature, exploring how those branches of the self-discipline are collectively supportive. The members comprise many top students within the box. person essays are dedicated to Catullus, Cicero, Horace, Lucretius, Ovid, Tacitus and Virgil, and there also are essays at the Renaissance reception of Virgil and on ideas of editorial perform.
- Morphologie du français médiéval (Linguistique nouvelle) (French Edition)
- The Generals of the Yang Family
- Reading Memory and Identity in the Texts of Medieval European Holy Women (The New Middle Ages)
- Learning to Die in London, 1380-1540 (The Middle Ages Series)
- Early Yiddish Epic (Judaic Traditions in Literature, Music, and Art)
Extra info for A Guide to Hellenistic Literature (Blackwell Guides to Classical Literature)
A Guide to Hellenistic Literature (Blackwell Guides to Classical Literature) by Kathryn Gutzwiller