By Matthew Leigh
Read Online or Download Comedy and the Rise of Rome PDF
Best literary medieval criticism books
In Milton and Ecology, Ken Hiltner engages with literary, theoretical, and historical techniques to discover the ideological underpinnings of our standard environmental challenge. targeting Milton's rejection of dualistic theology, metaphysical philosophy, and early-modern subjectivism, Hiltner argues that Milton anticipates definite triumphing crucial ecological arguments.
The Argentinian author and poet Jorge Luis Borges (1899-1986) used to be many stuff in the course of his lifestyles, yet what has long past principally not noted is that he used to be a medievalist, and his curiosity in Germanic medievalism used to be pervasive all through his paintings. This examine will think about the medieval parts in Borges artistic paintings and shed new gentle on his poetry.
Laurin tells the tale of Dietrich von Bern’s warfare with the gnome king Laurin, the destruction of Laurin’s rose backyard, and the liberation of an kidnapped virgin. Many models of the tale various in size, wording, and every now and then emphasis are present in various records. This new version provides varied types of the tale and offers thorough documentation of the differences within the ancient manuscripts.
This can be a sequence of cutting edge stories within the textual and literary feedback of Latin literature, exploring how those branches of the self-discipline are jointly supportive. The members comprise many prime students within the box. person essays are dedicated to Catullus, Cicero, Horace, Lucretius, Ovid, Tacitus and Virgil, and there also are essays at the Renaissance reception of Virgil and on ideas of editorial perform.
- Höfisches Erzählen von Gott: Funktion und narrative Entfaltung des Religiösen in Wolframs Parzival: Funktion und narrative Entfaltung des Religiösen in ... in Medieval Philology) (German Edition)
- The City as Comedy: Society and Representation in Athenian Drama
- Resemblance and Reality in Greek Thought: Essays in Honor of Peter M. Smith (Routledge Monographs in Classical Studies)
- Jacques Roubaud: Prose de la mémoire et errance chevaleresque (Interférences) (French Edition)
- A Knight at the Movies: Medieval History on Film
- The Cambridge Companion to Tacitus (Cambridge Companions to Literature)
Additional info for Comedy and the Rise of Rome
Comedy and the Rise of Rome by Matthew Leigh